The 2nd District Courthouse in Farmington sustained an estimated $18,000 to $20,000 damage from cold-related flooding after fire alarm sprinklers went off in the building Monday morning.
Court officials said that a control system malfunctioned over the weekend, causing everything above the ceiling to drop below zero.
There was no heat in select areas of the courthouse, specifically the district court clerk's area. As the pipes began to warm up, some burst causing the water that was already in the pipes to flood the clerical area, according to court spokesperson Nancy Volmer.
The fire alarm then went off and the courthouse, located at 800 West State Street in Farmington, was evacuated for about 20 minutes.