It was definitely not the call Provo Fire Department crews wanted to hear: a blaze had been reported at the downtown LDS Temple construction site.
On Dec. 17, 2010, a four-alarm fire had gutted the historic old Provo Tabernacle. The Tabernacle’s brick shell and spires were all that remained when The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints broke ground in May 2012 on a 3-year construction project to raise a new temple in its place.
Public safety dispatchers said Friday that, thankfully, the 5:23 p.m. Thursday call to the site on the corner of 100 South and University Ave., turned out to be minor: a hose on a propane-fueled interior heater had leaked and ignited.
The incident was not expected to delay the temple construction, which remains on schedule for completion in early 2015.
Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.