Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts

Missouri executes serial killer Joseph Paul Franklin
First Published Nov 20 2013 07:25 am • Last Updated Nov 21 2013 08:37 am

BONNE TERRE, Mo. • Joseph Paul Franklin, a white supremacist who targeted blacks and Jews in a cross-country killing spree from 1977 to 1980, was put to death Wednesday in Missouri, the state’s first execution in nearly three years.

Franklin, 63, was executed at the state prison in Bonne Terre for killing Gerald Gordon in a sniper shooting at a suburban St. Louis synagogue in 1977. Franklin was convicted of seven other murders, including the shooting deaths of David Martin, 18, and Ted Fields, 20, outside Salt Lake City’s Liberty Park on Aug. 20, 1980. He claimed responsibility for up to 20, but the Missouri case was the only one that brought a death sentence.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Franklin was pronounced dead at 6:17 a.m, said Mike O’Connell, spokesman for the Missouri Department of Corrections.

The execution began more than six hours later than intended, and took just 10 minutes.

Franklin declined to make a final statement. Wearing black rimmed glasses with long hair tucked behind his ears, he swallowed hard as five grams of pentobarbital were administered. He breathed heavily a couple of times then simply stopped breathing.

Guards closed the curtains to the viewing area while medical personnel confirmed Franklin was dead.

"The cowardly and calculated shootings outside a St. Louis-area synagogue were part of Joseph Paul Franklin’s long record of murders and other acts of extreme violence across the country, fueled by religious and racial hate," Gov. Jay Nixon said in a statement read to reporters by George Lombardi, director of the Department of Corrections, after the execution.

Franklin’s lawyer had launched three separate appeals: One claiming his life should be spared because he was mentally ill; one claiming faulty jury instruction when he was given the death penalty; and one raising concerns about Missouri’s first-ever use of the single drug pentobarbital for the execution.

But his fate was sealed early Wednesday when the U.S. Supreme Court upheld a federal appeals court ruling that overturned two stays granted Tuesday evening by district court judges in Missouri.

The rulings lifting the stay were issued without comment.

story continues below
story continues below

Lori Gresham, Franklin’s 34-year-old daughter, said she had spoken to him earlier Tuesday but they did not talk about the execution.

Gresham, the daughter of Frankin’s second wife and a resident of Alabama, said she was "really mad about how they went about [the execution]." She was sleeping when she got a call Wednesday about 6:30 a.m. from Franklin’s attorneys, telling her he had been executed.

"I did get to say goodbye to him," she said. "I told him I loved him and he told me he loved me. I’m sorry for the families of the victims if they didn’t get a chance to do that to their loved ones. I send them my condolences. I’m sorry my dad did all of this. I apologize for my dad and I’m sorry he caused so much hurt and pain in their families. He caused a lot in mine, too."

Franklin was briefly maried twice. Gresham, his only child, was born during the middle years of his killing spree.

One of Franklin’s sisters spoke with him about 5:20 a.m. as the state prepared to execute him.

Carolyn Sheffield said Franklin was "chipper. He sounded like he was in a good mood." She said he commented that the execution room was just down the hall from him, but went no further than that.

"I don’t think he was afraid to die because he had accepted the Lord," said Sheffield. "He was sorry for everything he’d done."

She said her brother had a tendency to "exaggerate" and she does not believe he committed all the crimes he claimed.

"I just want you to relate a message to Gov. Nixon," said Sheffield, her voice choked with emotion. "Who does he think he is? God has control over life. I don’t believe in the death penalty, but he should not have done that after my brother stayed in prison 33 years. The son of a b----, that Nixon is. ... he knew better."

Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster said the execution finally meant justice for victims and their families.

"While the sentence that will be carried out today cannot erase the terrible memories of the senseless violence in that synagogue parking lot in October 1977, it does represent a degree of finality for those forever affected by this crime of hate," said Koster. "My thoughts and prayers are with the family of friends of Gerald Gordon."

Next Page >

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.