Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Scott Sommerdorf | The Salt Lake Tribune) Martin McNeill, the moment the guilty verdict was read on the count of murder. He was also found guilty of obstruction of justice early Saturday morning, November 9, 2013. McNeill is flanked by his attorneys, Randy Spencer, left, and Susanne Gustin.
MacNeill found guilty in slaying of wife
Courts » Jury deliberates for 11 hours before returning verdict in case involving Pleasant Grove doctor.
First Published Nov 08 2013 10:13 pm • Last Updated Nov 09 2013 02:46 pm

Provo » It took a jury 11 hours to return a guilty verdict on Friday for Martin MacNeill, accused of killing his wife at their Pleasant Grove home six years ago.

The decision from the five-man, three-woman jury came after 13 days of testimony over four weeks, where prosecutors tried to build their case alleging MacNeill gave his wife, 50-year-old Michele MacNeill, a fatal cocktail of prescription drugs, then drowned her in a bathtub in their Pleasant Grove home. The motive, they argued, was to continue an affair with 37-year-old Gypsy Jyll Willis.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

As the guilty verdict was read at 1:10 a.m. Saturday, Michele MacNeill’s supporters — including her sisters, her friends and two of her daughters — gasped loudly as the verdict was announced, and immediately began sobbing and hugging. Martin MacNeill showed little to no emotion.

"We’re just so happy he can’t hurt anyone else," daughter Alexis Somers tearfully told a crowd of media after the verdict was read. "...There is justice for my mom today."

Martin MacNeill, 57, was found guilty of murder, a first-degree felony, and obstruction of justice, a second-degree felony. He faces up to life in prison when he is sentenced on Jan. 7.

Deputy Utah County Attorney Chad Grunander told members of the media at about 2:30 a.m. Saturday that Martin MacNeill’s case was the most difficult he had ever prosecuted.

"We are absolutely thrilled," Grunander said of the verdict. "It was an amazing moment to meet with the family... I love it when the system works and it worked these last four weeks."

Martin MacNeill’s defense attorney, Randy Spencer, declined to speak with the media after the verdict, but said, "Of course, I’m disappointed."

Grunander said during closing arguments Friday morning that the drugs given to Michele MacNeill after she underwent plastic surgery was her husband’s cover to hide an "almost" perfect murder.

story continues below
story continues below

"Along the way, he left a number of clues that all point to him as a murderer," he told the jury.

For prosecutors, Grunander said the most damning piece of evidence was a government identification application that Martin MacNeill, 57, submitted for Willis, who represented herself in the application as his wife, Jillian MacNeill. On the line asking for their wedding date, Martin MacNeill inked April 14, 2007 — the day of Michele MacNeill’s funeral.

"That is not short of an admission of guilt," Grunander told the jury during closing arguments. "He might as well have said in that application, ‘I murdered Michele.’ "

Reasonable doubt » But Spencer countered that there was no evidence presented by the state "that rises to the level of beyond a reasonable doubt." He accused prosecutors of "cherry-picking" facts that support their theory that Martin MacNeill killed his wife in order to welcome Willis into his life.

Spencer pointed to wording in the Utah medical examiner’s report indicating that drug toxicity "could potentially" or "may have had an effect" on the woman’s death.

That equals reasonable doubt, Spencer argued.

"I feel like I could sit down right now, because the medical testimony is so clear," Spencer said about 20 minutes into his 90-minute closing argument.

Spencer says there was no evidence that anyone but Michele MacNeill, herself, gave her any medications on the morning she died, April 11, 2007.

"Even if [Martin MacNeill] did, the medications were low," Spencer said, adding the drug levels found in the woman’s system were at therapeutic levels. "They were very, very low."

Michele MacNeill was found unconscious in her bathtub by her 6-year-old daughter, Ada MacNeill. The child was sent by her father to a neighbor’s house to get help, and eventually Michele MacNeill was pulled from the bathtub by a neighbor and Martin MacNeill. The two attempted CPR before medical crews arrived.

Next Page >

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.