See more about comments here.
Christmas tree permits available around Utah
Permits to cut Christmas trees in Utah are, or will be, available on U.S. Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management lands.
Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Utah will sell non-commercial permits to cut pinyon pine and juniper Christmas trees beginning in early November.
Dates: Nov. 4 to Dec. 24. Cost: $10 each with a limit of two per household.
In Salt Lake City, permits will be available at the Field Office at 2370 South 2300 West. See a list of other BLM locations below, and for more information, call: (801) 977-4300.
U.S. Forest Service permits will be available around the state; see a list of locations below. Tree permits are for personal use only, and only cash and checks are accepted.
Tips from the Forest Service for cutting your own tree:
• Weather conditions in the mountains are unpredictable, so always be prepared for winter weather. Stay on designated roads and trails. Be prepared for slick, snow-packed roads and have chains, a 4-wheel drive vehicle, or a snow machine available.
• Let someone know where you are planning to go and the approximate time you will return. Carry a cell phone; bring additional warm clothing, good, warm gloves, boots, and a container of hot liquid, water, lunch or snack, as it may take longer than expected.
• Carry a flashlight, chains, shovel, first-aid kit, matches, a hatchet, ax or handsaw, and rope to secure your tree.
• Trees must always be cut close to the ground, leaving the stump no higher than 6 inches. A shovel will come in handy to dig through the snow to reach the base of the tree.
• Make sure your permit is attached to the tree before leaving the cutting area.
• Tree topping is not allowed.
• No cutting within 200 feet of riparian areas (lakes and streams) roads, campgrounds, picnic areas, administrative sites, summer home areas, or within designated closed areas shown on tree cutting area maps.
There are several locations outside Salt Lake City to acquire BLM permits:
Fillmore Field Office
Dates: Nov. 18 – Dec. 24. Cost: $5 each with a limit of one per household. Type: Juniper and Pinyon Pine. Where to purchase permits: Fillmore Field Office, 95 East 500 North, Fillmore, UT 84631 For more information call: (435)743-3100
See the Capitol Christmas Tree
The Capitol Christmas Tree Tour is coming to Utah. Read more here.