Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts

Trib Talk: Vandalism in state and national parks
First Published Oct 22 2013 07:20 am • Last Updated Nov 01 2013 04:59 pm

The toppling of a 200 million-year-old rock formation in Utah’s Goblin Valley State Park sparked outrage and disbelief, but it’s hardly the only instance of desecrating public treasures. Some 2,000 cases of vandalism occur in national parks each year, with perpetrators damaging ancient petroglyphs, hauling away artifacts and tagging cave walls and trees with graffiti.

On Tuesday at 12:15 p.m., Utah state parks director Fred Hayes, Joette Langianese of the group Friends of Arches and Canyonlands Parks, and Tribune justice editor Sheena McFarland join Jennifer Napier-Pearce to talk about the Goblin Valley case and vandalism in protected lands.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

You can join the discussion by sending questions and comments to the hashtag #TribTalk on Twitter and Google+, or submit comments in the comment section below this story.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.