Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
| Courtesy Utah Division of Wildlife Resources A young male bear captured at Lake Powell is fit with a radio collar before being released in Southern Utah far from people.
Bear visits houseboat, tries waterslide — and is rescued at Lake Powell

Young bear is rescued after being shot with a tranquilizer dart and taking a dangerous jump into the water.

First Published Oct 02 2013 03:50 pm • Last Updated Feb 14 2014 11:35 pm

There are a lot of crazy stories about boating trips at Lake Powell in the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. Most of them focus on wild parties.

Recent events near Face Canyon involving a bear, boats and a potential drowning show just how wild things can actually get.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Terry Peterson of Smithfield was on a houseboat with six others on the morning of Sept. 27 when a small black bear they eventually named "Boo-Boo" appeared on the beach.

"He was just a little guy. He must have come down off the top of the plateau. He paid everybody a visit," said Peterson. "We were worried his mother might come around, but she never did."

National Park Service officials received a call that night about a bear on the beach near the houseboats, but the callers said they weren’t afraid of the bear and just wanted to make sure rangers knew about it.

Boaters camping in the area made sure to store their food and settled in for the night.

"My sister-in-law woke up probably about 7 a.m. She was sleeping on an air mattress by the front sliding door and he was looking through the glass right at her," Peterson said. "As soon as we opened the door he went back to the beach."

Two National Park Service rangers and Utah State Parks Ranger Jared Jones responded to a new call about the bear.

"When we arrived we chased him up the hill and tracked him for about two to two and a half miles and figured it probably wasn’t worth pursuing him anymore," National Park Service Ranger Christian Roper said. "As far as we could tell he had not had any recent human food rewards. If somebody had been feeding him marshmallows, we would have taken more serious action. It was young and impressionable so we hazed it away from the beach."

Peterson said the bear was chased off just before noon and was back on the beach by 5 p.m.

story continues below
story continues below

At one point the young bear swam around to the back of the houseboat, climbed on board and was sniffing around an area where anchovies used for fish bait were stored.

"When we went to chase him off he crawled up the framework of the water slide," Peterson said. "When he realized he had reached a dead end, he jumped off into the lake."

Peterson said the bear was never aggressive and that it often walked within yards of the people on the beach.

When Peterson’s group left the beach Monday morning, Boo-Boo was there to bid them bon voyage.

Reports of the bear reached Utah Division of Wildlife Resources (DWR) officials and they decided to remove him from the area. A team showed up Tuesday morning with tracking hounds to find him, and it didn’t take long.

While biologists were exploring the beach for tracks and setting the dogs loose, a boater from a nearby cove waved them over, indicating there was a bear on his boat.

Sure enough, the bear was on a 22-foot boat with a sleeper cabin under the deck. Jason Nicholes, a wildlife biologist with the DWR, shot the bear with a dart from a tranquilizer gun.

"Everything was going well until the bear decided he had a little bit of energy left," said Wayne Gustaveson, longtime Lake Powell project leader for the DWR. "He runs, leaps off the boat and starts swimming and then passes out."

Nicholes immediately recognized what was happening and stripped off his shirt, handed someone his cellphone and dove into the lake.

"Jason didn’t even think about it for one second. He reacted really quickly," said Kevin Bunnell, supervisor for the DWR’s Southern Region. "By the time he got there, the bear was pretty well under the drug."

Nicholes held the bear’s head above water and waited for help.

Next Page >

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.