Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Police ID man shot and killed by officers in Grantsville

Police say man had threatened to harm himself, then exited home carrying a gun.

First Published Sep 30 2013 07:22 am • Last Updated Feb 14 2014 11:35 pm

Police responding to a welfare check Sunday night ended up shooting and killing a man in Grantsville.

Travis Claye Davis, 37, died from a single gunshot wound after police showed up at his home near 50 E. Clark St., according to Grantsville Police spokeswoman Alison Peterson.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Officers went to Davis’ home after receiving a request for a welfare check from his family at 7:56 p.m. Peterson said Davis had threatened to harm himself.

When officers arrived at Davis’ home, he was barricaded inside, Peterson said. Davis eventually exited the home through a back door, at which time officers saw that he was carrying a gun. At some point while interacting with Davis, officers opened fire.

"Officers were forced to take action to protect themselves and the neighborhoods around them," Peterson said.

Peterson did not have additional details about Davis’ interactions with officers, or how many total shots were fired. She said Davis was only hit once, but she did not say where the bullet struck him.

Medical crews tried to save Davis but he died at the scene. A request for a medical helicopter was canceled.

Peterson said "multiple officers" were involved in the shooting, though she did not provide a specific number. Three officers were on administrative leave Monday morning, per standard procedure, Peterson added. The Tooele Police Department is investigating the shooting.

Davis did not have a history with the Grantsville Police Department, Peterson said.

A search of Utah court records shows Davis has a criminal record consisting only of a pair of misdemeanor convictions from 2004.

story continues below
story continues below

The first case, investigated by the Utah Highway Patrol, included charges for simple assault and domestic violence. Prosecutors dismissed the domestic violence charge when Davis pleaded guilty to assault.

In the second case, brought by Tooele city police and filed just days after the first, Davis pleaded guilty to damaging a communication device and prosecutors dismissed a trespassing charge.

A Tooele County Justice Court judge ordered Davis to spend five days in jail and pay more than $1,000 in fines for the two misdemeanor convictions.

The Salt Lake Tribune will update this story when more information becomes available.


Twitter: @jimmycdii

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.