Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Apartment fire displaces 50 Salt Lake City residents
An early morning fire displaced more than 50 residents of the Hill Crest Apartments in Salt Lake City just before 4 a.m. Saturday, according to fire officials.
The fire, which burned through the roof of three apartment units at the Avenues building, 155 E. First Ave., was ruled accidental. Firefighters believe its root cause was electrical and that wires in the ceiling of the apartment building had been smouldering for some time before flames broke out.
The blaze was contained by Salt Lake City firefighters, but several neighboring apartments suffered water and smoke damage.
Some of the more than 50 residents, who were evacuated and sent temporarily to an LDS church one block to the north, saw flames coming through the roof of the complex.