Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Chris Detrick | The Salt Lake Tribune) The Blue Lemon at City Creek Center Tuesday September 13, 2011.
Hazmat crews respond to fumes at City Creek mall
First Published Sep 26 2013 09:09 pm • Last Updated Sep 27 2013 07:28 am

Hazmat crews responded to City Creek mall Thursday night after a janitor accidently mixed two incompatible chemicals.

The janitor was working in an upper floor bathroom at 8:24 p.m. when he mixed the chemicals and inhaled the resulting fumes, according to Salt Lake City Fire spokesman Jasen Asay. The man was taken to the hospital as a precautionary measure, Asay added, though he was expected to be fine.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Asay did not know what chemicals the janitor mixed or what types of fumes were produced. He said several other people in the vicinity reported smelling the fumes, but did not suffer any other adverse effects.

Crews temporarily shut down parts of the mall, as well as South Temple at 50 East. The road closure was required to accommodate hazmat vehicles and gear, Asay said.

The incident comes just a month after a similar, more severe incident across the street at Temple Square. On Aug. 22, 10 people were hospitalized after a janitor accidentally mixed chlorine and sulfur.

Temple Square and City Creek also are both owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Asay said Thursday night that both incidents emphasize the importance of exercising care with cleaning chemicals.

jdalrymple@sltrib.com

Twitter: @jimmycdii




Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.