Check your Utah school: Round 2 of assessments released
Austin Talbert, 17, says the school changed his life after he transferred from Viewmont High in Bountiful. He now has dreams of becoming a nurse anesthetist.
"I have hopes for college now," he said. "That never would have been the case before."
Chronister said that although three-quarters of her students are two years behind in credits when they arrive, they double down on their work. Each year, Mountain High graduates roughly 100 students, many of whom would have dropped out of school.
"Hold us accountable for our mission," said Chronister.
Niederhauser acknowledged the blowback from Chronister and other educators and said the school grades legislation may need to be tweaked because the way it was interpreted by the Utah Office of Education resulted in a bell curve requiring some schools to fail.
"Grades weren't intended to give a scarlet letter to anybody," he said. "My involvement has always been about bringing some very simple clarity … so we could identify where we need to make adjustments."
The Legislature, he predicted, will discuss whether alternative high schools should be treated differently. "That's a discussion I'd like to have."
Top 10 Utah high schools
These are the top ten highest-scoring Utah high schools, preceded by their placement on the full list. The top 10 schools overall included only elementary and junior high schools.
25. Northern Utah Academy for Math Engineering and Science, 541 points
41. Utah County Academy of Science, 529 points
54. Davis High School, 524
91. Juab High School, 504
96. Academy of Math Engineering and Science, 502
98. Carbon High School, 502
99. South Sevier High School, 502
102. Pleasant Grove High School, 500
106. Park City High School, 500
135. Intech Collegiate High School, 492
Find your school’s score
Search for your school’s name at psdreports.schools.utah.gov/Gateway and you will have a choice of seeing its score under the 2013 Utah Comprehensive Accountability System (UCAS), released Monday, or the school grades released in early September.
UCAS scores, out of a possible 600 points, range from 587 at Nibley Elementary in Logan to 127 at the Jean Massieu School for the Deaf in Salt Lake City.
The statewide median for high schools rose from 408 points in 2012 to 417 in 2013.
The statewide median for elementary and junior highs increased from 428 points in 2012 to 434 in 2013.
Utah’s top 10
Under new 2013 Utah Comprehensive Accountability System results released Monday, these are the schools with the top 10 highest scores out of a possible 600. No high schools appear in the top 10.
1. Nibley Elementary School, Logan, Cache District, 587
2. Beacon Heights Elementary, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake District, 577
3. Wasatch Elementary, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake District, 571
4. Oak Hills Elementary, Bountiful, Davis District, 568
5. George Washington Academy, elementary charter, St. George, 567
6. Windridge Elementary, Kaysville, Davis District, 556
7. Tonaquint Intermediate, St. George, Washington District, 556
8. Dilworth Elementary, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake District, 553
9. Desert Hills Middle School, St. George, Washington District, 553
10. Ensign Elementary, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake District, 552