Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Dylan Brown | Pool) photo by Standard-Examiner Daniel Rivera signs his name, agreeing on the manslaughter and desecration of a human body charges, Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2013 in Judge Ernie Jones's courtroom in Ogden.
Utah man admits killing and burying body of Californian
Courts » Suspect claims he stabbed victim in self-defense, but says jury would likely find him guilty.
First Published Sep 25 2013 03:30 pm • Last Updated Sep 25 2013 08:55 pm

Ogden • For Victor Flores’ family, the hardest part was not knowing.

For 10 months, Flores’ information sat in a missing persons database. For 10 months, they didn’t know if Flores was alive — if he had enough food to eat or clothes to wear — or if he had died.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Last February, their worst fears came true when the 25-year-old California man’s body was unearthed in a Weber County backyard.

"To see him just thrown in the ground, it hurts me," brother Hugo Flores said during a hearing in Ogden’s 2nd District Court on Wednesday. "He was like my best friend."

On Wednesday, Daniel Rivera Jr., 33, pleaded guilty to second-degree felony manslaughter and third-degree felony desecration of a human body for Flores’ death.

Rivera is set be sentenced on Nov. 6, but because Flores’ family — who are from the Los Angeles area — may not be able to return to Utah on the sentencing date, they were allowed to address the court and Rivera during Wednesday’s hearing.

Flores’ mother, brother, sister and the mother of his 2-year-old daughter all gave statements in court Wednesday, telling how Flores was a good man, and that they felt betrayed by Rivera, who lied to them about their family member’s whereabouts.

"He not only killed my son, he killed all of us," mother Leena Flores said through a Spanish interpreter. "My son was a good son."

Rivera, who was charged just two weeks ago for the 2011 death, faces up to 20 years in prison when he is sentenced.

A family friend told The Salt Lake Tribune in 2011 that Flores left California for Utah on May 7, 2011, with Rivera, who reportedly had promised Flores a construction job.

story continues below
story continues below

Deputy Weber County Attorney Branden Miles said Wednesday in court that on May 9, 2011, Flores and Rivera got into a confrontation while inside of Rivera’s vehicle.

"[Rivera] gained control of a knife, and stabbed [the victim] in the chest," Miles said, while members of Flores’ family wept in the gallery. "It penetrated his heart, and he died almost immediately."

Defense attorney Camille Neider told Judge Ernie Jones that the guilty plea was an Alford plea, indicating that while Rivera does not admit guilt, he believes prosecutors could likely prove the charges to a jury.

"He has maintained the death was caused in self-defense," Neider told the court.

Flores’ body was found in February 2012, when police received a tip directing them to a home at 3812 W. 4550 South, in Roy.

On Feb. 9, 2012, after three days of digging, police found Flores’ body under three to four feet of earth in the backyard of the home.

After Flores’ body was found, the homeowner, Sarah Munn, was charged with obstruction of justice for allegedly lying to police.

According to court documents filed in Munn’s case, Rivera received a laceration to his face that required medical treatment and 35 stitches on May 9, 2011. Munn initially told police that Rivera — who lived at the Roy home part-time and is the father of three of Munn’s children — had received the injury during a road rage incident, then later told police that she caused the cut herself.

Two days later, Rivera rented a tractor in his name and dug a hole in Munn’s backyard. According to police, Munn told them that the equipment was used to dig a hole for an in-ground trampoline, but was later filled because the hole was the wrong size.

Flores’ body was found in the same area where the hole had been dug, according to the probable cause statement.

Earlier this month, Munn pleaded guilty in a separate drug case, and the obstruction of justice charge was dismissed.

Next Page >

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.