Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Exploding e-cigarette set toddler’s clothes afire, Utah fire marshal says
Public safety » Two fires have been sparked by the recharging of e-cigarettes, marshal said.
First Published Sep 24 2013 05:53 pm • Last Updated Sep 24 2013 08:21 pm

The Provo fire marshal is warning people not to leave their charging e-cigarettes unattended after one exploded and burned a toddler.

A North Dakota woman, staying for a while in Mount Pleasant, was driving through Provo on Friday morning with her 3-year-old son when heated coils shot out of her e-cigarette. The coils bounced off the ceiling and landed in her son’s car seat, setting his clothes on fire, said Provo Fire Marshal Lynn Schofield.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

She first tried to pat the flames out, but when that did not work, she tossed her iced coffee on him. That did the trick.

"The e-cigarette had a catastrophic failure," Schofield said. "… The batteries overcharged and the batteries failed and expelled the coils at the end of the tube."

The boy suffered first- and second-degree burns, which, though relatively minor, are painful, Schofield said.

The fire marshal said that this is the second time he has investigated an e-cigarette fire. In the other case, a charging e-cigarette shot out its coils into a laundry basket, burning the laundry but causing no injuries, he said.

Schofield, who has heard similar stories from fire marshals around the country, alerted the Food and Drug Administration, which regulates e-cigarettes. He received notification Monday afternoon that the FDA received his report.

The driver had been charging the e-cigarette with the charger that came with the product, though Schofield has heard the device failure also happens with after-market chargers.

"It’s a fairly new product so our data on device failure is pretty limited," Schofield said. "…This is not a device that I would plug into my wall and leave unattended. We were fortunate, the [boy’s] burns were relatively minor, but it was certainly a wake up call."


story continues below
story continues below

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.