Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utah woman charged with aggravated assault after trailer accident
Courts » She is accused of running over woman’s head with her trailer.
First Published Sep 06 2013 04:27 pm • Last Updated Sep 07 2013 11:03 am

A 53-year-old Salem woman has been charged with aggravated assault after police say she ran over a woman’s head with her trailer during an altercation last week.

Dianna Carlson is charged in 4th District Court with aggravated assault, a second-degree felony, failure to stop at a serious injury accident, a third-degree felony, possession or use of a controlled substances, a second-degree felony, along with misdemeanor charges of possession of drug paraphernalia in a drug-free zone and driving on a suspended or revoked license.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

According to a probable cause statement filed in 4th District Court, Carson was engaged in an altercation with 43-year-old Debra Butler on Aug. 27. Butler had returned home, near 500 East and 350 South, in Spanish Fork, about 7:30 p.m. to find Carlson removing a trailer loaded with all-terrain vehicles and a snowblower from the residence, according to police.

The two women argued over the trailer, which already was hooked to the suspect’s pickup truck.

"Carlson rolled her driver’s window up enough to pin the victim’s arm inside the truck while Carlson started to drive away into the street," according to the court documents. "After 20-30 feet of being dragged, the victim extricated her arm from the truck, but fell to the street."

Court documents allege that Carlson’s trailer then drove over Butler’s head, causing a skull fracture, bleeding on the brain, broken arms and other serious bodily injuries. In the documents, filed Tuesday, police said Butler was still on life support in critical, but stable condition. An update on Butler’s condition was unavailable Friday.

Prosecutors said Butler required brain surgery the night of the injury, and she lost portions of her brain during the procedure.

Carlson drove away after the altercation, but was stopped by police and arrested nearby.

According to police records, Carson denied running the victim over, telling police, "I didn’t run the b---- over."

Carlson is scheduled to appear in the Provo courthouse on Sept. 18.

story continues below
story continues below


Twitter: @jm_miller

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.