A construction worker shocked by a live wire was upgraded to satisfactory condition Friday and is expected to make a full recovery.
Layton Fire Department Inspector Doug Bitton said the man, in his 50s, was tested extensively by doctors overnight and found to have not sustained any permanent injuries from accident Thursday.
The man, whose name was not released, had been taken to Ogden’s McKay-Dee Hospital Center in critical condition after the 10 a.m. incident near Chapel and Gentile streets in Layton.
Bitton said the man was spotting as construction crews attempted to load a trackhoe onto a truck. However, the trackhoe’s boom struck and severed a power line, which fell to the ground, shocking the man.
The fallen wire also sparked a small grassfire, which forced the closure of Gentile Street for about 45 minutes and knocked out power to about 150 homes and businesses for about two hours, Bitton said.
He said the trackhoe was being used by a private contractor for work in a new housing subdivision.
Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.