Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
D and F grades for Salt Lake City’s high schools

< Previous Page

Parents can become more involved by seeking election to their School Community Council (SCC). State lawmakers are requiring each school this year to list its SCC agendas and meetings on the school websites.

Prior to Nov. 16, principals must post on their Internet and in the school office: names and contact information (email or phone) for each member of the council; the proposed meeting schedule for the school year; and a summary of the School LAND Trust Program Plan completed in the prior school year.

At a glance

See how Wasatch Front and charter high schools fared

Find a school district and charter school list here.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Each public school receives LAND Trust money, which comes from private industry using public land. Each school received about $62 per student last school year, or in West High’s case, roughly $119,000. The SCC then uses that money to help improve student academics.

At West, the LAND trust money was used last year for several projects, including: paying stipends to the teaching staff for their work after school and during the summer; the Freshman Focus program, which trains them in study skills and introduces them to the school’s programs; purchasing reading books and workbooks for English as a Second Language students; and purchasing iPads and a cart so teachers could teach the new technology to students and put applications on the Internet.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.