Several units of a North Salt Lake apartment complex were damaged in an early Tuesday morning fire, but no injuries were reported.
Dispatchers said the fire at the North Park Village Apartments began about 6 a.m., and South Davis Metro Fire Department crews had to evacuate all 16 units in the affected building, located at 55 West Center Street.
Six of the upper-story units were damaged, but as of Tuesday evening everyone had been placed in empty apartments in the same complex for the time being, according to a news release.
Investigators determined that a discarded cigarette, or an ember from one, on a mattress placed on a balcony started the fire, according to a news release.
No injuries were reported. The fire cause about $150,000 in damage.
The Utah Red Cross was providing for the food, shelter and clothing needs of about 12 evacuees.