A Moab man is suing McDonald’s after he claims he bit into a McDouble and an insect stung him.
Sean R. Gaines filed a personal injury complaint against the fast-food chain on Monday in 7th District Judicial Court. He also names King Enterprises V, LLC which owns the specific restaurant.
On Sept. 12, 2012, Gaines ordered the sandwich in the McDonald’s drive-thru, while his friend ordered a sausage biscuit with cheese. They started eating as Gaines pulled away.
They then stopped at a Maverik convenience store to gas up. While the friend pumped the gas, Gaines got back in their vehicle — and still working on the McDouble, took another bite and felt a sharp pain in his mouth, according to the complaint.
He did not see an insect, but "he believed he had been stung by a bee or something on his tongue," the complaint reads. "The sting was very painful and [he] was extremely fearful and anxious because he knew he was allergic to bee stings."
His right ear and neck felt unusually warm, his vision blurred and his breathing began to feel constricted. He asked his friend to take him to the hospital, where he was diagnosed with an insect bite reaction, possibly a bee sting, according to the complaint.
"He felt like he was going to die," the complaint reads. "Since then, he has had recurring nightmares and anxiety about stinging insects or spiders and now has fears about eating at fast-food restaurants. Since Moab is a small town and [McDonald’s] is on the main street, Mr. Gaines is reminded every day when he drives past [it] of the suffering he endured from eating a sandwich purchased there."
Gaines, who did not have medical insurance, was out of work for two days and wants to pay for a therapist, is suing McDonald’s for $16,800 in damages.
McDonald’s Corporation could not immediately be reached for comment.
Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.