Gas leak prompts temporary evacuations in Midvale
A gas leak in Midvale prompted brief evacuations in the Salt Lake County Public Works offices.
Unified Fire Authority Battalion Chief Lee Ascarte said office buildings in the vicinity of 7125 S. 600 West had to be evacuated. In all, 250 people were emptied out of their workplaces for about 90 minutes. The leak did not affect any residences, Ascarte said.
Hazardous materials crews from UFA ventilated the buildings to make sure there was no gas inside. The area was cleared and the evacuations were lifted at about 1 p.m.
Questar Gas spokesman Darren Shepherd said a natural gas line broke during construction in the area.
But by 1 p.m., crews were able to stop the leak and start repairs, he said. Shepherd said it's always a good idea to call the Blue Stakes hot line at 811 before digging.
See more about comments here.