10 released from hospital after fumes exposure on Temple Square

Published August 24, 2013 9:29 am
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

All 10 people hospitalized following exposure to toxic fumes at downtown Salt Lake City's Temple Square had been released and returned home as of Friday.

"All were evaluated and released," said Ruth Todd, a spokeswoman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The 10 complained of nausea, coughing and difficulty breathing after inhaling the thionyl chloride resulting from an accidental mixture of chlorine and sulfur by a janitor at the square's South Visitors Center, just before noon Thursday.

About 50 people were evacuated from the building and evaluated by paramedics at the scene. Ten people, including the janitor, were taken to the hospital for further treatment.

The South Visitors Center was reopened by 2:30 p.m. Thursday.


Twitter: @remims

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus