Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Former Utah middle school worker sentenced for sexually abusing teen

Courts » Jamie Lynn Greenwood, 44, gets up to 15 years for sex with 16-year-old boy.

First Published Aug 23 2013 12:14 pm • Last Updated Aug 23 2013 10:42 pm

West Jordan • It was a generous birthday gift — roses and a ring, shimmering with the glint of diamonds.

But as the mother looked at her 14-year-old son, who had offered her the tokens just moments before, she couldn’t help but feel suspicious. How could he afford this kind of present? Where did he get the money?

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

He told her that he earned it by working in the basement of a family friend, a woman who worked at a Sandy middle school cafeteria, a mother with a son of her own.

Her name was Jamie Lynn Greenwood.

Nearly five years later, the mother told a 3rd District judge that she doesn’t want to think about what ugly things her teenage son had to do to give her such beautiful gifts. She sobbed in court Friday as she described the betrayal she felt when she learned that Greenwood had traded her teenage son gifts and money for sex.

On Friday, Greenwood was sentenced to prison.

The 44-year-old woman pleaded guilty last month to two second-degree felony counts of forcible sexual abuse and two third-degree felony counts of unlawful sexual activity with a minor.

She could spend up to 15 years behind bars.

"Most of the cases I look at are drug cases or theft cases where there’s a way a person can pay back what they took," Judge Charlene Barlow told Greenwood. "You cannot repay what you took. Counseling can’t repay what you took. You took a young man and caused a great deal of damage to his life."

A cafeteria worker at Eastmont Middle School for four years until she resigned because of the allegations, Greenwood had claimed the relationship was consensual and that the boy "threatened and intimidated" her into having sex.

story continues below
story continues below

As Barlow handed down Greenwood’s sentence, the ex-school employee’s family broke down in tears. Her 19-year-old son, who was a classmate and friend of the victim before his mother was arrested, sobbed openly in the hall outside the courtroom.

Defense attorney Mark Arrington had asked Barlow to let Greenwood go with no further incarceration. Greenwood had already spent 171 days in jail after she was arrested on suspicion of sex abuse.

"This has turned her life inside out for the last three years," Arrington said of Greenwood. "Other than this huge pot hole that shedove into, her life is so common as to be unremarkable."

Arrington noted she has no prior history of sex abuse and has committed no new crimes during three years of court proceedings. She also has spent nearly 600 hours in counseling, and never missed an appointment, he added.

Barlow ordered that Greenwood be allowed to continue counseling while in prison. She also ordered that Greenwood attend a support group for sex offenders.

The victim, now 19, told Greenwood he was glad she had sought help.

"I’ve forgiven her a long time ago. I have," said the teen, who added that he moved three times and has lived on the streets in the wake of the abuse. "But it’s still a burden you wake up with every day."

The short young man, with a patch of facial hair, an oversized white collared shirt and bright red tie, left the courtroom flanked by his mother and father. The family had been too busy bracing for the worst, they said, they hadn’t considered the possibility that the judge might do what they asked: Send Greenwood to prison.

"I was scared of what the judge might do," the mother said as she walked out of the courthouse. "I thought they might go easy on her because she’s a woman. But I’m glad she’s being punished for what she did."

According to charging documents, Greenwood threatened to tell people at the boy’s school or to drop him off in an unfamiliar neighborhood when he tried to stop or avoid the abuse. Once he came clean and told police, he said, it was like a weight had been lifted. But it was only the beginning of a difficult journey.

Greenwood’s case went on for nearly three years as it made its way before the Utah Supreme Court.

Next Page >

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.