Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Rick Egan | The Salt Lake Tribune) LDS Church sister missionaries are evacuated from Temple Square to be checked out by emergency personnel after toxic fumes were accidentally released in the South Visitors Center at Temple Square, Thursday, August 22, 2013.
10 hospitalized after exposure to fumes at LDS Temple Square
Downtown » Square is evacuated and 50 people are treated at scene after accident at visitors center.
First Published Aug 22 2013 12:08 pm • Last Updated Aug 24 2013 09:26 am

Ten people were taken to the hospital after being exposed to toxic fumes on Temple Square on Thursday just before noon.

They suffered minor symptoms such as nausea, coughing and difficulty breathing after inhaling thionyl chloride, which formed after an accidental mixture of chlorine and sulfur, according to Salt Lake City Fire Department spokesman Jasen Asay.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

"This was a big-scale incident [in] the heart of downtown," Asay said.

A janitor poured excess chlorine into what he thought was an empty bottle stored in the South Visitors Center on Temple Square. However, the bottle had just trace amounts of the sulfur left in it, Asay said.

The mixture formed the thionyl chloride, which quickly spread through the building via the air vents, according to those inside the building at the time.

Close to 50 people were evacuated from the building and evaluated by paramedics at the scene. Ten people, including the janitor, were taken to the hospital for further treatment, Asay said.

Susan Lowe was in the building at the time. She said her throat felt scratchy and irritated. She said firefighters told her that for most people, breathing fresh air should take care of the symptoms.

Two hazmat teams from the fire department responded to the 11:30 a.m. incident, which closed Temple Square until about 1 p.m. Temple Square is owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,

It also closed down South Temple and TRAX between the Gallivan Plaza and Arena stations during that time.

The South Visitors Center was reopened by 2:30 p.m.


story continues below
story continues below

David Gillette, the Temple Square mission president, was inside the building when he began to smell a strong scent of chlorine. He and his wife, Doris, began to look for the source of the smell.

Several female missionaries who serve at Temple Square began coming out of various rooms to discover what was going on as well.

They had planned to wait it out, but then the fire alarms went off, Doris Gillette said.

They evacuated the building and waited for authorities.

"It’s not every day they evacuate Temple Square," David Gillette said.

Tribune reporter Jim Dalrymple II contributed to this story.

jstecklein@sltrib.com

Twitter: @sltribjanelle kbennion@sltrib.com Twitter: @KimballBennion



Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.