Quantcast

Cigarettes blamed for Provo fire that killed disabled woman

Published August 22, 2013 1:30 pm

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Cigarettes she was smoking, along with an oxygen tank she was using, were factors in the ignition and quick spread of a house fire that killed a disabled Provo woman.

"She was a smoker and we also found evidence of cigarette smoking at the scene," Provo Fire Capt. Dean York said Thursday, adding that 70-year-old Louise Dennis Maffey's oxygen tank likely was "a contributing factor to the intensity" of the late Wednesday afternoon blaze 1362 S. 1100 West.

Maffey, who used a wheelchair after having suffered a stroke, apparently was alone in the upstairs front room of her split level house when the fire broke out in the room about 4:35 p.m.

remims@sltrib.com

Twitter: @remims

USER COMMENTS
Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus