Smoke briefly evacuates Herriman elementary school
About 900 elementary school students in Herriman were evacuated late Tuesday morning when smoke was detected above an equipment room.
Jordan School District spokeswoman Sandra Riesgraf said the students were taken outside Butterfield Canyon Elementary, 6860 W. Mary Leizan Lane (13825 South), as a precaution while Unified Fire Authority crews responded to the 10:32 a.m. call.
About half an hour later, the emergency was over. Firefighters found no flames, determining a small amount of smoke drifting from the second story above the school's equipment room was coming from an overheated air-conditioning motor.
Classes resumed soon thereafter at the year-round school.
See more about comments here.