Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Suspect connected to three Midvale homicides refuses deal
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

West Jordan • The man accused of obstructing justice in a February triple homicide in Midvale rejected a plea deal offered to him by prosecutors Tuesday.

Davis Romney Fotu, 33, and his attorney presented prosecutors with a counter-offer, the details of which were not discussed in court. It was not immediately clear whether the state will accept the counter-offer and enter a plea agreement with Fotu, who is charged with one second-degree felony count of obstructing justice in connection with the Feb. 12 shooting deaths of Danielle Lucero, Omar Jarman and Shontay Young.

If convicted, he could face up to 15 years in state prison.

Third District Judge Bruce Lubeck set a deadline for the plea negotiation: Sept. 10. If no deal is reached by then, a date will be set for a preliminary hearing in the case, at which prosecutors will lay out evidence against Fotu.

Fotu, who appeared in court Tuesday wearing blue jail scrubs and shackles, remained silent during his appearance. As he was led out of the room, his relatives called to him, tried to meet his eyes. Fotu didn't look up.

According to charging documents, Fotu was inside a home at 8286 S. Adams St. (450 West) in Midvale the morning of Feb. 12 when alleged shooter David Fresques went room-to-room killing the people inside, police said.

After the shootings, Fotu gave Fresques his truck and told him to take it somewhere safe, the charges allege. Someone then called police and reported the truck had been stolen. Fresques was captured the next day, court documents state, when he crashed Fotu's truck into a parked car near 3700 S. and 300 East.

Fotu was arrested in March during an unrelated probation check after a weeks-long manhunt.

Fresques, who faces three counts of aggravated murder and one count of attempted aggravated murder in connection with the slaying, is scheduled to appear in court for a preliminary hearing in October.

mlang@sltrib.com

Twitter: @marissa_jae

Courts • Man who allegedly gave shooter a vehicle made counter offer.
Article Tools

 Print Friendly
Photos
 
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.