An early Tuesday morning fire heavily damaged a Sandy house, but its three occupants escaped unharmed.
Sandy Deputy Fire Chief Bruce Cline said the blaze, reported 3:38 a.m. at 9585 S. 266 East, began on the home’s backyard deck and quickly spread into the attic, kitchen and living room.
The three occupants of the home — two men and a woman — attempted to douse the fire with a garden hose before calling 911.
The cause of the blaze, which was extinguished by Sandy Fire Department crews within 15 minutes, was undetermined — though the residents reportedly told firefighters they had been smoking on the deck late Monday evening.
Damages were believed to have topped $30,000.
No injuries were reported.
Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.