Quantcast

Natural gas line blast may have ignited Layton fire

Published July 25, 2013 12:58 pm

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

An early Thursday morning fire heavily damaged an Ace Hardware store in Layton, but no injuries were reported.

Public safety dispatchers said the fire near 1330 East and Highway 193 was reported at 1:37 a.m. Friday. Layton firefighters rushed to the site and after dousing the flames, found a large hole in the store's roof and a ruptured natural gas line.

Layton Fire Inspector Doug Bitton said it was unknown if the gas line rupture caused the fire, or if the line ruptured after the blaze began.

One employee at a nearby gym was evacuated while the fire was extinguished.

Questar and Rocky Mountain Power workers were on the scene Thursday assessing the extent of damage, initially estimated in excess of $50,000 — most of that due to water poured on the blaze.

The building was unoccupied at the time of the fire. Store managers planned to reopen as soon as cleanup allowed.

remims@sltrib.com

Twitter: @remims

USER COMMENTS
Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus