An early Thursday morning fire heavily damaged an Ace Hardware store in Layton, but no injuries were reported.
Public safety dispatchers said the fire near 1330 East and Highway 193 was reported at 1:37 a.m. Friday. Layton firefighters rushed to the site and after dousing the flames, found a large hole in the store’s roof and a ruptured natural gas line.
Layton Fire Inspector Doug Bitton said it was unknown if the gas line rupture caused the fire, or if the line ruptured after the blaze began.
One employee at a nearby gym was evacuated while the fire was extinguished.
Questar and Rocky Mountain Power workers were on the scene Thursday assessing the extent of damage, initially estimated in excess of $50,000 — most of that due to water poured on the blaze.
The building was unoccupied at the time of the fire. Store managers planned to reopen as soon as cleanup allowed.
Copyright 2013 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.