Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Crews rush to South Jordan Library smoke alarm
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Firefighters rushed to the scene of a blaze at the South Jordan Library Monday morning.

Public safety dispatchers said the call, reporting smoke wafting from a mechanical room at the 10673 S. Redwood Road (1700 West) facility, came in at 9:26 a.m.

No injuries were reported, but authorities did evacuate the library.

Crews quickly extinguished the fire, which was limited to the mechanical room and did not cause significant damage.

Salt Lake County Library spokesman Scott Russell said staff arriving about 9 a.m. noticed the building's air conditioning unit was not working, and then smelled smoke about the same time a smoke alarm went off inside the mechanical room.

"It was determined that a spark from [a] coil on the water heater may have singed some material by the coil and caused the smoke and smell," Russell said, adding that Rocky Mountain Power workers responded to make repairs and restore the building's electrical services.

remims@sltrib.com

Twitter: @remims

Article Tools

 Print Friendly
 
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.