Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Sandy man charged with murder in beating death of elderly woman
Courts » Police say man beat his grandmother-in-law with a golf club.
First Published Jul 01 2013 01:24 pm • Last Updated Jul 01 2014 10:16 am

A 41-year-old Sandy man accused of beating his grandmother-in-law to death with a golf club has been charged with murder.

Kevin David Cuillard will appear before a 3rd District judge on Wednesday. He faces one count of murder, a first-degree felony that carries up to a life sentence in prison.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

According to court documents, police responded to a reported assault on June 20 and found Cuillard with blood on his pants and shirt at his home, 10164 S. Bannor Hill Road (1985 East).

Arla "Caroline" Christensen, 85, was dead in one of the bedrooms. On the bed lay a metal rod later identified as a golf club with a missing head.

The defendant’s wife, Angela Cuillard, told officers her husband was having a psychotic episode and had beat her grandmother to death with the club, according to documents.

The wife said she saw her husband come out of the garage of their home holding a golf club and walk into her grandmother’s bedroom. He closed the door and locked her out of the room, documents state.

After telling her two juvenile children to flee the home, Angela Cuillard returned to the now-unlocked bedroom and found her husband kneeling over the elderly woman’s unmoving body. There was blood on the closet door, documents say.

Christensen, who appeared to have been bludgeoned about the head, was declared dead at the scene, according to Sandy police.

Christensen had moved in with her granddaughter sometime during the past year due to health problems, Sandy police Sgt. Jon Arnold said. She previously lived in Mount Pleasant.

In an interview with Sandy police, Cuillard admitted the blood on his clothing was "grandma’s," according to jail documents.

story continues below
story continues below

He also told police that "he had to do what he did to make things better," the jail document says. "In his mind, had he not done it, things would have been worse."

Cuillard’s wife told officers her husband has a history of "severe mental illness" and had not been sleeping in the days leading up to the alleged crime.

Cuillard is being held without bail at the Salt Lake County Jail.


Twitter: marissa_jae

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.