Fire investigators suspect a teenager staying at a group home in Taylorsville may have been responsible for a Saturday morning fire that displaced six people living at the state-funded facility.
United Fire Authority Capt. Clint Mecham said the fire started in one of the home’s bedrooms. Dispatchers got multiple 911 calls at about 10:30 a.m. reporting smoke and flames shooting from a bedroom window at the home, located at 6278 S. Hurstborne Circle (3340 West).
Mecham said that callers initially reported one resident was still inside the house, but he made it out by the time firefighters arrived.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze in about 10 minutes, Mecham said. The boy was taken to a hospital for minor smoke inhalation injuries but was later released. No one else was injured. Meanwhile, the state is assisting the occupants of the group home to find a place new place to stay.
Mecham said the fire damaged the room where it was started and also extended into the attic area, causing damage to the joists in the ceiling. In all, the estimated loss from the fire was at least $130,000, Mecham said.
Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.