Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utah mother nearly killed child with alcohol, police say
Crime » Weber mom arrested after disabled 4-year-old ends up in hospital.
First Published Jun 08 2013 09:38 am • Last Updated Dec 07 2013 11:33 pm

A Weber County mother gave her young, disabled daughter so much alcohol that the girl could have died, a sheriff’s deputy said Saturday.

Sheriff’s deputies arrested Raquel Borce, 31, Wednesday for giving her 4-year-old daughter alcohol in April, Weber County Sheriff’s deputy Klint Anderson said Saturday. The girl has cerebral palsy and Anderson described her as "very fragile" and unable to take care of herself.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

"It’s not possible that this child inadvertently consumed alcohol," Anderson said.

According to Anderson, the case first came to authorities’ attention after Borce called 911 in April and said her daughter was not breathing. Anderson did not know the exact date of the call. The girl was then taken from her Marriot-Slaterville apartment to a hospital in critical condition, where a doctor said she had consumed so much alcohol she nearly died.

"It was many times over what would typically prove fatal," Anderson added. "It really is amazing that she’s still alive."

An investigation into everyone who had access to the girl eventually focused on Borce. Anderson said investigators were working on a warrant when she turned herself in Wednesday afternoon. By Wednesday evening she had posted $15,000 bail and was free again, Anderson said.

Police booked Borce on one count of child abuse, a second-degree felony, and one count of attempting to purchase drugs, a third-degree felony. Anderson explained that the drug charge was unrelated to the child abuse charge and came about coincidentally as police investigated Borce.

Borce had a lawyer before she turned herself in and, according to Anderson, has chosen to use her right to remain silent. She has not been arraigned and as of Saturday no formal charges had been filed. A search of court records indicates that she does not have a criminal record.

Anderson said the girl has recovered and is with her biological father. The investigation is ongoing.


story continues below
story continues below

Twitter: @jimmycdii

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.