Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
University of Utah names new graduate school dean
First Published Jun 06 2013 04:45 pm • Last Updated Jun 06 2013 04:53 pm

The University of Utah has named the chair of the physics and astronomy department as dean of the graduate school.

David Kieda replaces Charles Wight, who left least year to become president of Weber State University.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Kieda is an internationally known researcher on the use of astronomical telescopes to study the fundamental particles and forces in the universe, according to a U. press release.

Kieda joined the U. faculty in 1990 after earning a doctorate in physics from the University of Pennsylvania and an undergraduate degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He’s now leading several gamma-ray observatory projects and has 30 patents on electronic components, safer medical devices and novel material properties.

Kieda won the Utah Governor’s Medal of Science and Technology last year.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.