Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Leah Hogsten | Tribune file photo) Weber County Attorney Dee Smith, flanked by Roy Police Chief Greg Whinham (left) and Ogden Police Chief Mike Ashment, during a Friday, May 24, 2013 morning news conference to announce the suicide death of Weber County jail inmate Matthew David Stewart, after he apparently hanged himself Thursday night in his jail cell. Stewart was awaiting trial in the slaying of a police officer during a botched 2012 drug raid that ended in a shootout.
At vigil for Stewart, a challenge to police power

Many marching to honor man in deadly raid say they’ve also had violent run-ins with police.

First Published Jun 05 2013 10:58 pm • Last Updated Jul 17 2014 07:28 am

Ogden • For many who attended a vigil for Matthew David Stewart on Wednesday evening, it was their own personal tragedies that tied them together.

In any other circumstance, many of the people who lit candles in honor of the man accused of opening fire on Weber Morgan Strike Force officers serving a search warrant at his Jackson Avenue home on Jan. 4, 2012, would have never met one another.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

But Wednesday, as they remembered the Ogden man who committed suicide in jail May 24, they all shared stories about how their interactions with police turned violent or even deadly.

One recounted being beaten by a police officer 20 years ago. Another was arrested after recording a video of police officers.

The stories of others in attendance were more well-known, their names inked in newspapers after their interactions with police turned violent.

Todd May was shot with a Taser twice and punched eight times by Utah Highway Patrol officers after the officers thought the man was swallowing drugs.

Eric Hill was mistaken for a wanted man in December and placed in handcuffs after police armed with assault rifles and shotguns knocked on his door at 2 a.m. looking for a man who had gone AWOL from the military.

And Scott Simons recounted how he lost his daughter, who was fatally shot in Salt Lake City by the Joint Criminal Apprehension Team (JCAT) in January.

Simons said he attended Wednesday’s vigil to take a stand against police tactics. He described his daughter, Kelly Simons, as someone who always excelled in school and who lettered in sports. She didn’t fit the stereotype of someone who would be mixed up in a police shooting, he said.

"They [police] think we’re gang members, but our kids are everyday kids," he said. "She was an everyday girl, and my daughter was murdered by JCAT."

story continues below
story continues below

Stewart was facing the death penalty, and had pleaded not guilty to a charge of aggravated murder in the death of Agent Jared Francom and seven first-degree felony counts of attempted aggravated murder for allegedly trying to kill other officers, and one second-degree felony count related to alleged marijuana cultivation. According to court documents, 16 pot plants were found in the home after the raid.

Several of the supporters who attended Wednesday’s march wore T-shirts with the words, "I am Matthew Stewart," printed on the back. Sister-in-law Erna Stewart said the message is meant to symbolize that anyone could be a victim of police brutality.

"It can happen to anybody," she said. "It can happen to me. It can happen to her. For Eric Hill, it was just the wrong house."

As part of Wednesday’s vigil, held near an elementary school on 45th Street and Madison Avenue, the group of about 50 people marched quietly to Weber County Attorney Dee Smith’s nearby home.

Erna Stewart said they chose to stand in front of Smith’s house because she believes he used a news conference called on the day of Matthew Stewart’s death "to push his agenda."

At that news conference, Smith detailed the man’s apparent suicide, then spoke about the details of the case, including addressing criticisms of police practices surrounding the warrant.

"He couldn’t give us one day to grieve," Erna Stewart said. "I just want him to feel our pain. We are part of his community too, and you can’t ignore a group of people."

But when the Stewart supporters came upon Smith’s home, the top attorney was nowhere to be seen. Instead, a group of about 70 people — apparent supporters of Smith and officers involved in the raid — stood on Smith’s lawn.

The two groups never exchanged words with one another. After a few moments of silence as the groups faced each other, the Stewart supporters were told by police that they could not stop in the street, and had to keep walking.

While the Stewarts’ battle in the courtroom is over, Erna Stewart said their family and Matthew Stewart’s supporters will continue to fight to change rules and laws that allow for home raids.

"We’re not done," she said. "We’re not finished."

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.