Utah's annual Free Fishing Day is set for June 8
A chance for all those once-a-year anglers to get on the water without having to buy a Utah fishing license comes on June 8 when the annual Free Fishing Day is held across the state.
Anglers do not need a license on June 8, but they must adhere to all other regulations as stated in Utah Fishing Guidebook. The guidebook is free at Division of Wildlife Resources (DWR) offices and at fishing license agents. It can also be downloaded at the DWR's website.
State fisheries officials report that just before Free Fishing Day extra fish will be planted to increase the chances of people catching some for supper or, perhaps, just for memories. Because early June is typically a time of high water on rivers and streams in Utah, most of the extra fish will be stocked in lakes and reservoirs that are easily accessible.
Those not able to make a trip to a far away fishing destination can usually find a well-stocked community pond close to their home.
The state wildlife agency will be involved in several special events on June 8.
• The Bear River Celebration is being held at Skylar's Pond, 450 W. 700 South, in Logan, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Fishing equipment will be available for checkout, and volunteers will be available to help people learn the basics.
• The Utah Lake Festival is being held at Utah Lake State Park near Provo. Volunteers will be available to help people fish from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and will provide equipment.
• A fishing contest is being held at Community Lake (also known as Lake Hill Pond) 5 miles east of Ephraim. Registration starts at 9 a.m. and the contest starts at 10 a.m. Call the Sanpete Ranger District at 435-283-4151 for more information.
• Free fishing-day events are being held at three locations in northeastern Utah. People will be available to help participants from 9 a.m. to noon at Pelican Lake near Vernal, Moose Ponds along State Road 44 and the Lower Stillwater Ponds on Rock Creek.
• Equipment, hot dogs and drinks will be available from 8 to 11 a.m. at the Carbon County Fairgrounds Pond, 120 E. Main St., in Price.
• Fishing equipment will be available for use at Leigh Hill Reservoir in Cedar City from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Buck's Ace Hardware in Hurricane and the DWR are sponsoring an event at Grandpa's Pond (the end of 3700 West in Hurricane) with prizes and fishing equipment available for use from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
See more about comments here.