Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Suicidal man shot, killed by Weber County sheriff’s deputy
Police » As deputy tries to calm him, apparently suicidal man shot after firing gun.
First Published May 25 2013 04:48 pm • Last Updated May 25 2013 10:29 pm

A Washington Terrace man was shot and killed by Weber County a sheriff’s deputy early Saturday while police were trying to talk the man out of taking his own life.

An apparently distraught Jeff Foote, 39, placed a 911 call to police just before 1 a.m. and told a dispatcher that he planned to shoot himself, the sheriff’s office said in a news release.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Officers from multiple police agencies went to the home Foote shared with his parents, 110 W. 4600 South, to find him standing in the front yard, brandishing a small handgun.

One Weber County deputy tried to calm Foote and prevent him from attempting suicide. As they spoke, however, Foote apparently discharged his gun and an officer returned fire, Weber County Chief Deputy Klint Anderson said. No other shots were fired.

Foote, who was struck in the neck, was taken to an Ogden-area hospital where he died. His body was transferred to the Utah State Medical Examiner’s Office later Saturday for an autopsy.

It wasn’t immediately clear if Foote was trying to harm police when he fired his weapon, but Anderson said the deputy who returned fire feared for the safety of officers on the scene, Anderson said.

The unidentified officer has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of two investigations.

The Weber County Attorney’s Office is conducting an independent investigation of the shooting and will determine whether the officer was justified in his use of deadly force. The sheriff’s office will also conduct an internal investigation.

At the time of his death, Foote was on probation for a drug offense.

According to 2nd District Court records, he was arrested in November after a witness reported he and another man were using a meth pipe in a vehicle at a Riverdale motel. A police officer found a pipe in Foote’s backpack and several baggies of suspected drugs in the vehicle.

story continues below
story continues below

Foote was charged with second-degree felony drug possession, but pleaded guilty in April to a lesser third-degree felony count of drug possession.

Court records show he also has convictions for driving under the influence in 1996 and 2010.


Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.