Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Time to run for city council, mayor in Midvalley cities
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.


city elections

If you're interested in running for a city office, it's almost time to throw your hat into the ring. The candidate filing period is June 1-7. Because city halls are closed on weekends, candidate have just days — June 3-7 during business hours — to submit a declaration of candidacy in person. If your city operates under a four-day week, confirm the deadline because it could be earlier.

General city elections are nonpartisan and held in odd-numbered years. The staggered terms are for four years (except when the position is for an unexpired term), with about half the seats up for election each time. A candidate must be a registered voter and a resident of the city for at least 12 months immediately before the election to run.

At-large seats are filled by a vote of the entire city's electorate; district seat holders are selected by voters in the district. If elected from a council district, the candidate must live in that district.

If more than two candidates file for a seat, a primary will be held Aug. 13 to narrow the field to two. The general election is Nov. 5; winners take office in January.

The seats up for election:

Cottonwood Heights

Mayor • Kelvyn Cullimore, running

Council seats • District 3 (east)

District 4 (far east)


Mayor • Dennis Webb, not running

Council seats • District 1 (central)

District 3 (central southeast)


• JoAnn Seghini, running

Council seats • District 4 (south)

District 5 (west)

Murray Mayor

• Daniel Snarr, not running

Council seats • District 2 (southwest)

District 4 (midcity east of I-15)

Article Tools

 Print Friendly
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.