(Leah Hogsten | The Salt Lake Tribune)
Five Salt Lake City fire crews work to put out at fire in the 400 block of 1200 East. A dog's incessant barking alerted its owner to a fire in the second floor of their rental home, Friday, May 17, 2013. Three people who were home at the time were able to get out of the burning house unharmed.
Accidental flash fire destroyed half a Salt Lake City home
By Michael McFall
| The Salt Lake Tribune
First Published May 18 2013 04:29 pm • Last Updated May 18 2013 04:29 pm
Salt Lake City fire investigators determined that an accidental flash fire destroyed the second floor of a house Friday afternoon.
It was an electrical fire that was so hot it caused most everything to spontaneously catch fire in the upper apartments of a converted house near the University of Utah, said Salt Lake City Fire Deputy Chief Dan Walker.
Two residents who were home escaped unharmed.
A total of four people live at the house, but only the ones who live on the ground floor will be able to return after some repairs to the smoke and water damage, Walker said. The top floor will have be completely remodeled.
The fire caused about $100,000 in damage, Walker said.
Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
About Reader Comments
Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account
. See more about comments here.