Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Midvale SWAT standoff ends peacefully
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A SWAT standoff in Midvale that began with several bangs petered out Saturday night with a whimper.

After several hours barricaded inside his home, Christopher Dougherty, 44, surrender to police at about 11:45 p.m., according to Unified Police Department Lt. Justin Hoyal. Dougherty reportedly surrendered "without incident."

Dougherty began a standoff with police and SWAT officers about 9 p.m. after a 911 caller reported seeing a man firing a rifle into the air near 7600 South and 1000 East in Midvale. When police responded, Dougherty holed up inside his home.

No injuries resulted from the standoff. Hoyal said Dougherty received treatment for a cut on his knee, but the injury was unrelated to police activity.

Investigators Sunday were still trying to determine what caused Dougherty, who has no criminal record, to engage in the standoff. Hoyal also said they were trying to determine if Dougherty was somehow impaired.

Hoyal added that following the standoff, officers searched Dougherty's home and found several marijuana plants. Police booked him into jail for reckless endangerment, discharging a firearm in city limits and cultivation of marijuana.


Twitter: @jimmycdii

Article Tools

 Print Friendly
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.