Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Former Utah charter school principal pleads guilty to sex abuse
First Published Apr 02 2013 03:17 pm • Last Updated Jul 07 2013 11:30 pm

Heber • A Utah man with more than 40 years of experience as a teacher and principal pleaded guilty to forcible sodomy charges Tuesday.

Charles Edward Weber, 66, was originally charged in Wasatch County’s 4th District Court with six counts of first-degree felony sodomy. On Tuesday, he accepted a plea deal and pleaded guilty to two of the charges, while the remaining four were dismissed.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Weber allegedly had a sexual relationship with a 15-year-old between January and April last year, admitting Tuesday in court that he sexually abused the boy. The teen was formerly a student at Soldier Hollow Charter School, where Weber was a principal when the abuse occurred. He was fired in August.

Weber will be sentenced on May 28. He is facing five years to life in prison on each count.

On Tuesday, Weber hung his head during much of the short proceeding, and when 4th District Court Judge Lynn Davis asked Weber for his plea on each count, the word "guilty" was nearly an inaudible whisper.

Assistant Utah Attorney General Paul Amann said Tuesday outside of court that Weber’s plea deal was a good thing because the victim wanted to remain anonymous, and did not want to testify in court.

Though the case may be close to resolution, Weber’s legal issues are likely far from over, as Amann said other alleged victims have come forward with similar allegations.

Amann would not detail how many alleged victims have spoken with his office, but said crimes may have taken place in several counties in Utah. No other sexual abuse cases had been filed against Weber as of Tuesday.

Court papers say authorities launched their investigation last fall after a 48-year-old man contacted police to report that he had been sexually abused by Weber between 1975 and 1977. The man, who is not identified in court papers, was then 11 years old and was a student in Weber’s class, court papers said.

In a probable cause statement also filed with the court, FBI investigator Jeffrey Ross said Weber acknowledged in an interview that he had sexually assaulted several male students over the past 35 years, including the most recent alleged victim, court papers said.


story continues below
story continues below

jmiller@sltrib.com

Twitter: @jm_miller



Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Login to the Electronic Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.