Police say a Salt Lake City man lighted a pair of his wife’s pants on fire after they had been fighting about "her snoring and her stuff" in the house.
The man was charged Thursday in 3rd District Court with aggravated arson and he could spend up to life in prison if convicted. The fire got out of control and damaged part of the room of their house, near 800 S. Park Street — a small blaze that firefighters had to extinguish, said Salt Lake City Fire spokesman Jasen Asay.
While looking into the fire on Sunday, an investigator determined it had been intentionally set. The man who lived there later told police that he and his wife had been arguing and, after she went to sleep, he used a candle to light a pair of her pants — not one she was wearing — and a cardboard box on fire, according to the charges.
He did wake her up when the fire got out of control, the charges add.
Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.