Members of two families were unhurt but without a home after an early Wednesday morning fire heavily damaged their West Valley City house.
West Valley City Fire Battalion Chief Bob Fitzgerald said the 2:50 a.m. blaze at 4399 S. 5400 West appears to have started in the home’s basement. Investigators believe a natural gas leak in a clothes dryer may have been the source of the fire.
Firefighters knocked down the flames quickly, but the blaze still caused an estimated $30,000-$40,000 in damage.
All the home’s occupants — including three adults and six children — escaped without injury, Fitzgerald confirmed.
The family was being assisted by the Utah Red Cross with food, clothing and shelter.
Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.