Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
'Explosion' report at St. George hotel turns out minor
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Police and firefighters rushed to the scene of what was initially reported as an explosion at a St. George hotel late Tuesday morning.

However, St. George police Sgt. Sam Despain said there had been no big blast, as feared, just a smaller, unspecified bang — perhaps involving a minor natural gas leak — in the kitchen of the Lexington Hotel, 850 S. Bluff Street, about 8 a.m.

"A maintenance worker was doing work in the kitchen. Apparently there was a gas leak in the wall which was ignited," Despain said.

The wall sustained some damage, but there was no comprising of the building's structure.

A female employee was in the kitchen at the time of the incident, which remained under investigation. She was examined and treated at the scene for minor injuries.

"There was no fire involved," Despain said.


Twitter: @remims

Article Tools

 Print Friendly
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.