Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Al Hartmann | Tribune file photo) Lawyer Alan Sullivan of Snell & Wilmer and working with the Rocky Mountain Innocence Center argues on behalf of Debra Brown at her factual innocence hearing on Jan. 18, 2011. The Innocence Center may have found DNA evidence that exonerates Wyoming inmate Andrew Johnson of a 1989 rape.
DNA clears man of 1989 rape, according to Utah-based innocence center
Courts » Nonprofit Innocence Center has spent 10 years trying to free the Wyoming man.
First Published Mar 20 2013 11:36 am • Last Updated Mar 25 2013 09:09 am

A Wyoming man who has spent 23 years in prison is asking for a new trial based on DNA testing that purportedly confirms his innocence in a 1989 rape.

Andrew Johnson was convicted of sexual assault and aggravated burglary over 23 years ago in Cheyenne.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

On Monday, attorneys with the Utah-based Rocky Mountain Innocence Center filed a motion in Wyoming’s 1st District Court asking for a re-trial, claiming initial tests on newly found DNA evidence confirm the man’s innocence.

The Innocence Center has worked on Johnson’s case for over 10 years, according to a press release from the non-profit organization. The RMIC also lobbied for a change in Wyoming law on Anderson’s behalf.

Prior to 2008, Wyoming did not have a law that provided prisoners with a right to petition court for DNA testing in their cases, according to RMIC. The center worked with Wyoming prosecutors to draft that law.

"Wyoming state officials and legislators should be applauded for passing legislation that gave Andrew a chance to prove his innocence," said RMIC Executive Director Jennifer Hare Salem in a news release.

A hearing on the motion for a new trial has yet to be scheduled.

According to a Wyoming Supreme Court decision, Johnson was drinking at a bar with friends and the victim, whom he knew through the victim’s boyfriend, on June 10, 1989 in Cheyenne.

Johnson and the victim proceeded to go bar-hopping in Cheyenne before the woman left Johnson at a bar parking lot.

The woman went home, and later in the evening, a man identified by the victim as Johnson broke into her home and raped her.

story continues below
story continues below

Johnson had petitioned the Supreme Court for a new hearing in 1991 based on issues at trial, but that was denied.


Twitter: @jm_miller

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.