Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
'County' in, 'Valley' out of health department name
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

The Salt Lake Valley Health Department is changing its name.

It will become the Salt Lake County Health Department, pending approval by the County Council and the Health Department board.

The change will "better reflect the health department's mission to provide quality public health services countywide," said Gary Edwards, department executive director.

"The health department has always worked to promote and protect the community and environmental health for all citizens who live or work within the physical boundaries of Salt Lake County," he added. "Regardless of whether that's in Sandy, West Valley City, Salt Lake City or another municipality, township or unincorporated area, we want people to know we are their health department. Our new name will not change that."

County Mayor Ben McAdams announced the planned name change at the health department's annual meeting on Friday. Once the change is finalized, Edwards said it will take several months to revise all of the department's document letterheads, signs and websites.

This is not the first time the department's name changed, said county spokeswoman Michelle Schmitt.

Formed in 1849 by then territorial Gov. Brigham Young, it was known initially as the Society of Health. Over time, Salt Lake City and Salt Lake County both developed their own health departments, which operated independently until they merged in 1969, creating the Salt Lake City-County Health Department. That title was simplified in 2000, with the word "valley" replacing "city-county."

Agency is adding Salt Lake County to reflect its mission and service area.
Article Tools

 Print Friendly
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.