Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
University of Utah frat houses to go alcohol-free
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

University of Utah fraternity houses will be alcohol free by default next school year, under a new policy adopted by the university and its Greek community.

Fraternities could seek clearance to serve alcohol, but they would need to pass a review process at the beginning of the semester by proving the chapter is in good standing, has no violations and that its members maintain a grade point average higher than the school's average.

The school's Greek Council proposed the change.

"The reason why we initiated this is the Greek Council wanted to make sure the students had self-governance, and personally I think this was a great initiative to take," council member Luna Koizumi told the U. Board of Trustees on Tuesday.

The U.'s sororities are already dry. Frats must register to throw a party where alcohol will be served, and police monitor the gatherings, said Barbara Snyder, vice president of student affairs. No single incident caused the change, though "there have been concerns over the years about alcohol on campus," she said.

Five fraternities have houses at the U.; three are already dry. One opposed the change, which goes into affect in the fall. Of the approximately 32,000 students at the U., about 1,200 are involved in fraternities or sororities.


Twitter: @lwhitehurst

Academic year 2013-14 • Greek Council proposed the change.
Article Tools

 Print Friendly
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.