Suspect in shootings faces 34 felony charges
The man accused of shooting at cars now faces eight new felony charges, on top of the 26 he was already charged with for allegedly firing shots at drivers in two counties.
Marco Antonio Guizar, 37, was charged Thursday in 3rd District Court with four counts each of aggravated assault and felony discharge of a firearm. According to the charges, Guizar admitted to investigators that on Jan. 12, he recognized a passenger in a vehicle near 600 North and 1200 West from a prior incident at a bar, and fired at the vehicle eight or nine times. No one was hurt.
He was charged last month with 21 felonies in 3rd District Court and five felonies in 2nd District Court for allegedly firing at other drivers in Salt Lake County and Davis County, respectively.
On Jan. 15, a driver on Interstate 215 near 3500 South told police that a man in a Toyota Camry with Texas license plates had pointed a black handgun at his vehicle and fired three times, according to charging documents.
The next day, Guizar fired several shots at another vehicle, the documents state. The driver of the car told investigators that the driver of a Toyota Camry with Texas plates turned and fired at him while driving on I-215 near 1000 West.
Hours later, authorities said, Guizar shot at a vehicle on Legacy Highway, exited into Farmington and fled from a Davis County sheriff's deputy who attempted to stop him. For about five minutes he evaded police by driving through a residential neighborhood to 650 West and State Street where he purposely crashed his car into another vehicle occupied by two youths, the documents state.
After the crash, he grabbed his handgun and fired at least two rounds at a Farmington detective, officials said. Officers returned fire. No one was hurt. A .40-caliber Glock handgun was later found in Guizar's vehicle.
Police said when they interviewed Guizar, he admitted he had shot at vehicles in Salt Lake County before the chase through Farmington.
No one was injured in any of the shootings.
Guizar remains behind bars in lieu of $1 million bond. He was also put on a detention order issued by the Federal Immigration and Naturalization Service.
He's next expected in court on March 18 in relation to the 21 felonies previously filed in 3rd District Court.