Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Courtesy of Orem Public Safety Orem firefighters battle a house blaze early Thursday morning. The house was destroyed, leaving a family of eight homeless.
Orem family loses home to fire
First Published Feb 28 2013 06:37 am • Last Updated Feb 28 2013 11:12 pm

A family of eight was left without a home Thursday morning after a fire gutted their house in south-central Orem.

Orem Public Safety spokesman Craig Martinez said the 5:50 a.m. blaze at 973 S. 190 West in believed to have been caused by a burning candle left unattended.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Firefighters found thick smoke pouring from the rambler-style home’s roof upon arrival.

No injuries were reported to the four adults and four children who lived at the home. Initially, police said the family’s dog was lost, but later said the animal had survived the fire and was being treated for smoke inhalation.

The house was considered to be a total loss after its smoldering roof finally collapsed.

The Red Cross was assisting the family with food, clothing and shelter, Martinez said.

About 25 firefighters battled the blaze for about two hours, focusing on keeping flames from spreading to adjacent homes. In addition to Orem crews, the Provo Fire Department also provided assistance.

remims@sltrib.com

Twitter: @remims




Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Login to the Electronic Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.