Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Bill dealing with fluoridation causing some waves
Health » Davis lawmaker gets bill through House but Senate proving more difficult.

< Previous Page

"The products that go into the water supply are all regulated by the federal government," company President Craig Thatcher said. "The EPA sets up finished water standards. And they say exactly what the contamination levels can be. They require on-site approval and inspect your facility on a regular basis. There is really no need for any additional tests."

While Thatcher confirms the bill’s stipulations could be met, "It’s very expensive to do and it’s an ongoing process that we have to take care of. The public can already be certain without this bill in place."

At a glance


Fluoridation of water systems is more than half a century old on the national level with Grand Rapids, Mich., standing as the first city to do so. In Utah, the following jurisdictions have fluoridated water, according to the state:

Davis County

Salt Lake County

Brigham City


Hill Air Force Base

The Ute Tribal System

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment


Twitter: @sltribDavis

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.