Gas odor disrupts Valentine's Day plans at Clark Planetarium
A gas leak disrupted some people's Valentine's Day plans at the Gateway mall.
Visitors reported a smell of natural gas in the air about 7:30 p.m., including inside the parking structures and around the Clark Planetarium, according to the Salt Lake City Fire Department. The planetarium evacuated its about 80 guests voluntarily while two hazardous materials crews searched the building and surrounding area for the source of a leak, said Jasen Asay, spokesman for the fire department.
But they couldn't find one in any building, and by 9 p.m., the haz-mat crews determined the leak was unfounded, Asay said. "This happens a lot with cars driving by and it's putting off a bad smell, or big trucks that go by," Asay said.
Questar Gas personnel stuck around a while longer to see if they could find a source for the problem.
See more about comments here.