Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Orem family of seven loses home to fire
Blaze » Propane space heater in garage sparks fire that destroyed house and cars.
First Published Feb 12 2013 07:08 pm • Last Updated Feb 13 2013 04:39 pm

An Orem family of seven lost their home Tuesday afternoon to a fire.

The father had been working in the garage with a propane space heater and went inside the house for a few minutes, only to return to the garage to find that the heater had caught it on fire, said police spokesman Sgt. Craig Martinez. He tried to put out the fire himself, but when he realized it was out of his hands, he got his wife and two of their children out of the home without any injuries.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

The two children who were home are either infants or toddlers, and their other three children were at school, Martinez said.

About 25 firefighters from Orem and Provo arrived about 12:30 p.m. and fought the flames for about two hours, but the fire had spread from the attached garage to the house and their home was a complete loss, Martinez said. The homeowner’s two cars had been in the driveway, and they too were lost to the fire, Martinez added.

The family have relatives in the area and will be staying with them for the time being, Martinez said. Investigators do not yet have a monetary estimate for the damage.

Martinez cautioned against bringing any propane space heaters inside a home or garage, not only for the risk of such a fire but to avoid the possibility of a gas leak as well.

mmcfall@sltrib.com

Twitter: @mikeypanda




Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.